This is the blog I've anticipated for a long time, but tests snowball into more doctor's appointments- and before you know it, everything has changed. Let me update you on where we are...
Today, mom and I went to see her Radiation Oncologist. We all decided that the best plan of action was for mom to do radiation on her spine and right hip. Two reasons. Mom's relapse is different than her original breast cancer in that there's no real protocal. With bone cancer, if you're feeling pain in the areas, it's the patient's call to determine whether they need radiation treatment. Radiation simply attacks the tumor, and gives us a head start on killing the cancer cells. Secondly- Dr. McCoy (oncologist) thinks that the best route for her, is clinical trials. Radiation has to be done before the trials, anything outside of the actual oral treatment negates her chances of being part of the focus group. If she started feeling pain during treatment, she would be unable to stop for radiation. Doing radiation treatment before the oral treatment gives us a little security in knowing that we've done all we can to keep this cancer at bay.
We've been eager to get something started, since September. And while we all want the best treatment possible, it's starting to feel like we're doing nothing- while the cancer progresses.
Tomorrow, finally, starts our journey!
In the morning, mom will go to Piedmont to be prepped for radiation. (At 57 years old, she's finally getting her very own "tramp stamp". Four little dots will adorn her mid-back, it makes a daughter proud!) She will drive there EVERY day, for 12 days. This is a far cry from the 33 days we endured in 2000! After that, she will be back to Kennestone to start clinical trials. The clinical trials are a combination of a shot, and hormone therapy (oral) that she will have to have every day. The blessing with that treatment is that it's self administered- no driving across town! Our hope is that the combined treatment will be enough to keep the cancer from metastisizing anywhere else, and allow mom to live a normal life. While this is never what we would have planned, we're glad that there finally is a plan- and anxious to get the wheels rolling!
Our specific prayer is for driving safety, as we'll all be spending many hours in the car over the next few weeks. Our most fervent prayer is that mom will be able to live a normal life through treatment. Thank-you, a million times, for being here with us. Please do not hesitate to email or write her (I'll add those, below). She loves to hear from you!!
M.
Dusty McDaniel
8236 Yale Drive
Jonesboro, Ga. 30236
dustyis@earthlink.net
5 comments:
Thanks for the update...I'm glad to know there's a plan in the works too. You can count on my prayers.
Glad to see there is a "plan"! Tell your mom to connect her dots and get a real tatoo!! We are thinking of you all.
Thank you all for sharing your journey with us. Know that you all are in our prayers.
The Pelts
LaGrange
So glad the Dr. was in. I'm in there with you all of the way. I got a good report today. I'll call you
and give you my update. Love you much,
Leigh
Finally, let's get on with it! I'm glad there is a plan of action. I can come any time you need me to drive or whatever!
Love you,
Donna
Post a Comment