Sunday, May 31, 2009

And so...it continues.

Here's the update on yesterday's appointment. Oh, wait. FIRST- mom's labs came back completely normal! She and I did a thorough exam over them while waiting, for what seemed like days, to see the doctor yesterday....we're so thankful for that! Not the wait time, the lab work- you get it, right?

Anyway.

This week, mom will have a HIDA Scan done to check on the function of her gallbladder & to determine the possibility of surgery. There are lots of complications that go along with HER case since she has heart failure, previous surgery scar tissue, and cancer. Will you say a prayer for guidance for the doctors...to know what is the best option for her?

M.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last week, mom had some problems with nausea- I HATE weeks like that. Relapse creates a fear that stands on every corner. Every cough, ache, fatigue, and bout with nausea creates a fear like no other- worst case scenario is the first thing that sets in. On Thursday, I'd had enough- a week was ample time for a bug to either pass or get better. We made an agreement, she would have a test run to check on the condition of her liver- we were prepared to deal with the facts, even if that meant bad news. Thursday, she successfully talked me out of having the test run. "First thing tomorrow, I promise" she said. I agreed. Today is Sunday, and we still don't know the results of that test- but here's what we do know...mom has gallstones. The one thing that DID happen on Friday was an ultrasound of her gallbladder and liver (I like that about her nurses, they pin her down and don't take no for an answer!). Before breast cancer, mom had a problem with gallstones, but because they didn't cause any harm...they were left alone. Ten years later, we're back to square one- we think.

Because cancer didn't quite fill up the plate.

Tomorrow, we will meet with a Gastroenterologist to see about the next step. As you can imagine, we want to make sure we're doing the right thing because mom's cancer complicates an otherwise common surgery. We'll also get the results back from her liver test- *fingers crossed*- hoping gallstones are our only obstacle.

'Ya know...everything in life is relative.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

praying for ONLY gallstones and whatever needs to be done will be done without complications!
Love yall TIGHT!
Leigh

Anonymous said...

You are all in my prayers. I think about you all so often. I love you bunches! Can't wait to see you. I think we are coming to spend a few days at Maw's if Aunt Carolyn will let us. I would love to get together for lunch or dinner one evening if y'all are up to it.
Hugs,
Gale

Mandy said...

so ask mom about "air hitting the cancer." Fact or fiction?