Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Today I checked my calendar and realized that we were four days into the new year...what on earth? Our lives have been in full swing since Christmas, and for that we couldn't be more grateful. I'm a little weepy today, so I'll probably cry my way through this post...but Christmas is always a reminder of the abundance of gifts that Christ has given to our family. Through the celebration of His birth & finding us deserving enough to be part of His perfect plan, and having the blessing of another year together...we have been given more gifts than we could ever be worthy of receiving.

Last night, as I put away Christmas at my childhood home, I was saddened by the idea that our Christmas decor may welcome a different 'us' next year. We're a Christmas loving family, no doubt. But I'm always hesitant to put away Christmas for the fear that it will be the last time Christmas will see the 'us' we are now. The core of me knows that no matter what changes, the Lord will always direct us to finding our new normal...but the emotional side of me clings tightly to our lives being this way forever. With that said, I've become a person who desperately tries to be present in every moment. Not that all (or even most) of my moments are glorifying...because there are sure to be times when I'm envious of my sister's disposition. But I'm thankful that I'm still able to have those times with my family, even if it means they'll show up on a long list of personality malfunctions! And although Christmas may greet an imperfect 'us', it provides the opportunity to celebrate the joy of being physically present and another chance to improve the shortcomings of our very flawed character.

And when the time comes where our lives do change, my heart believes that the path will be well-prepared for us to adjust our sails and carry on. Until then, we'll spend our Winters celebrating both the birth of Christ and the birth of the funniest grandfather that ever lived. We've successfully accomplished both in the last few weeks, which makes me feel better about arriving to January so soon! We've got loads of pictures that can tell the story better than any explanation of mine...so we'll hop right to it.

Happiest New Year, friends-- 2011 has so much in store!!

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Free slideshow design personalized with Smilebox

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everyday gets just a little sweeter...my family pulls just a little closer..my heart and soul..my family!

Kim Massengale said...

I LOVE reading your blog Morgan! Your thoughts are so beautifully written!! It is hard to think that Christmas 2011 will not be the same with the ones you love the most, I thought about that alot this year! I think of you and your family all the time! Wishing you and your loved ones an abundance of joy in 2011!!!

Anonymous said...

I sure do miss you and your family!:( So glad you had a wonderful holiday season...it looked like one to remember!:) Here's to an even better 2011 holiday season! Love to you all...xoxo

Connie Turner said...

Just can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading this Christmas Blog Morgan! If only I could express myself the way you can, what a talent! The pictures are to be treasured. Really warmed my heart. Many thanks again for sharing. Love to all. Connie