I've been wanting to blog, but sitting down and forming sentences from thoughts is less appealing as a senior English student DESPERATELY inching towards graduation. Yaddy, Yaddy, that's boring and full of excuses...so I'll share my latest story.
Somewhere in the ball field of six months ago, I met our neighbors through a freakish "will you come help us, my sister is having a seizure" incident. After we got through that hurdle the mom and I seemed to have bonded on a level that she feels comfortable leaving her kids at home, knowing that I'm only steps away. While we've never really had a full conversation, we say hello in passing and her kids are in and out of my yard a few times a day playing with Maddox. I must admit, in the past six months I have not taken one ounce of notice to the fact that her appearance has changed.
Let me interject here for a sidenote. Volunteering for an organization where being bald is the norm, I almost NEVER notice when someone has lost their hair. Lots of times people will mention a new camper who has recently lost their hair and I'm always confused because I would have sworn that they still had a full head. I'm thankful that the Lord puts on my blinders to see past the devistation that a bald child often endures once their hair is gone- to see the amazing kid inside. God-given blinders never erase the insecurities that both kids and adults feel when they've lost their hair...so long lucious locks are replaced with wigs, bandannas, and hats. I guess that's why I never noticed that our neighbor (R.- as she will be affectionately referred to from now on) had lost a full head of hair.
Spring has always been an exciting time of year for me because everything is in full bloom. Mom is a conisseuor, of sorts, of yard work- so a love for all things green (while my plants may dissagree) keeps me longing for Springtime. The first day of Spring, we were in the yard working diligently to acquire the coveted "yard of the month" award when R. drives by and mentions the excitement of Spring, and her enthusiasm for warmer weather. As she drives off, Lucy questions her hair-loss. Minutes later, the neighbor across the street makes a beeline for our driveway asking if R. was in good health. I was shocked, concerned, and embarassed- to say the least. In all of our passing conversations, had I missed her balding head? Had I really overlooked her on a DAILY basis? I decided that when she came home I was addressing the issue. First- I owed her an apology.
When R. pulled in the driveway, I couldn't walk fast enough to meet her at the car. As she opened the door I reached out to hug her, "I'm sorry!" I said. "I had NO idea!" She hugged me back and began to tear up as she told me about her long journey through breast cancer. In the 3 months prior she had two rounds of radiation, chemo, and a lumpectomy. All. By. Herself. I was overwhelmed by guilt, knowing that having cancer is enough. Add four teenagers, and no husband...and you have a zoo of a situation. On top of this terrible set of circumstances- she was fired when she had to take leave from work. We talked for what seemed like an hour about where she had been and where we, as neighbors, could help.
It's been almost a month since that conversation and R. is working diligently to get herself and her family back on track. Yesterday, she and I caught up on where her situation stands and she seemed to be in better spirits. While she still has a long journey ahead- she stands firm on who is in charge of her future. "One thing I know for sure," she said. "I've been entrusted with four wonderful kids, and nothing will stop me from being the best mother I can be to them." As I write this, the giggles and screams of a mother on the trampoline with her children fill my house. I think she's doing a pretty good job.
2 comments:
Morgan...YOU ARE AMAZING!! What insight, what wisdom, what compassion you have. R. has been added to my prayer list!!
I am wiping away tears.
Post a Comment