Wednesday, August 5, 2009

There's no dollar sign on peace of mind.

I started writing this post on the 5th- but when things went from bad to worse I didn't know what to say, so I figured I'd update when things were clearer than Georgia clay. In the past two weeks, my poor mother has been poked and prodded and CT-scanned, and IVed enough to last her a lifetime. But the bottom line is this- she'd better be getting prepared to live another 20 to 30 years because it's looking like the cancer is staying put inside those strong bones of hers! So...because I'm too lazy to re-write everything I wrote last week, I'll let you read last week's post and then update you on where we are now. Follow me? Okay, good....let's go!

8/5
I know most of you have followed us here from Facebook, and I'm so glad you did. What an amazing feeling to have so many people offer to help take the reigns when the bottom drops out. First of all...thank-you! From offering to do whatever you can, to last minute babysitters, to being the messenger so that we didn't have to make phone calls. It was so nice to be able to focus on mom's situation without any kinks. In such a panic situation, I didn't know exactly what to do...and all I could think was to ask you to pray, pray, pray that everything would turn out for the best. Although we're not sure what is going on, we know it's not mom's heart or relapse anywhere else...and for that, we're most thankful.

For now, we're still unsure about the reason for mom's chest pain and constant nausea- but it seems to be under control, so we'll see where the doctor's think we should go from here.
______________________________________________________________________________

After I posted that message, mom went to her oncologist appointment on Thursday and found out that her liver enzymes were 5 times the normal level. Dr. McCoy ordered a CT scan of her abdomen to make sure that everything was fine- and while I have to be honest and tell you that I had a talk with myself a million times that day to prepare for the worst- the CT came back normal. We have an appointment tomorrow at 2:00 to come up with a plan for what to do next- I'll update you when we find out where we're going.

I'm sorry this post is so choppy and slightly incoherent- in truth, it's one that I haven't looked forward to writing because I dreaded reliving last week's events. My sister (that's your cue!) will be here to post pictures of mom's weekend with them and make this post a distant memory. It was a hell heck of a week, to say the least- and we're so very glad that everything turned out better than we expected.

Thanks, so much, for being here- it's so reassuring to know we're walking this journey together.

No comments: