Thursday, February 4, 2010

Let's try this again...

Remember how I said we'd post when we heard from the Radiologist? I lied. I couldn't handle that sad, 'no-news' post hanging over my head. This is life, after all, and it's meant to be lived with a Hakuna Matata attitude-- life is too full of good to focus on the bad. I felt like that post seemed helpless and sad, which is EXACTLY opposite of how the day turned out. Last night, I felt bad for Leigh & Donna; they drove four hours to spend a few nights with my mom, stayed up late drinking wine and eating popcorn, and spent the day shopping and visiting a famous restaurant-- and then Debbie Downer (that's me!) comes a long with a 'no news', 'woe-is-me' post. They are such faithful friends of mom's, and it was unfair for me to suck the fun right out of the day-- I'm sorry girls, I'm back on track now. Cancer does that...it sucks the fun right out of a perfect day; and if you're not careful you will miss all the good that happens, for feeling sorry for yourself.





The truth is, we still don't have any news about mom's bone scan-- confusion with insurance made it hard to get all of the films in one place. But we should have the results back later this week, and we'll update you on what we hear. Bigger than that confusion and the uncertainty that every result day brings, is a God who has a plan. We are simply instructed to follow that plan and trust that no matter the outcome, he is in control. While disappointment and discouragement will always be part of this journey, it's our job to focus on the good and filter out the bad. I never, ever, want to be so caught up in our own reality that I forget those who are worse off than us. An eight year reprieve, and over twelve months of no-progression scans humbly remind us that, although it's not what we would have planned, mom's cancer has grown at an amazingly slow pace-- giving us many really good days. When we started this blog, I wanted it reflect both authenticity and reality in our lives. It's set as mom's homepage on her computer because I wanted it to be an immediate place of reflection, and a virtual photo album of our incredible days together. My hope is that we have done exactly that; created a mixing bowl of authenticity, and reflections of every. single. amazing day together. You are such a vital part of our puzzle and we're so thankful to have friends around to remind us to savor the abundance of good days!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish you had a picture of all that food we ate! The biggest loser would Ban that place if they saw how much you can eat at one sitting!
A fun day with Donna and Leigh...Didn't know cheap wine and K Roger popcorn could taste so good!

Mandy said...

I'm just glad the mafia didn't sucker y'all into working with them just so you could have all the chocolate cake you wanted! Great post, Mo!

Jennifer said...

Great post....I needed to hear some of those words for myself! You do an awesome job with your posts. Praying for y'all!

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Still paying the price for the food coma I put myself in!!! Team Lean was NOT happy with my tiny progress today at weigh-in...BUT it was worth every calorie, every glass of wine and every morsel of popcorn consumed. Thanks for the memories!!!
Leigh

Anonymous said...

Girls, It was a fun day and we wouldn't let Debbie Downer or anyone else spoil our fun! Never gave that a thought. I ate my leftovers on the way home and they were good again. We'll be back soon--promise to never stay away so long again. We always pick up where we left off.

Donna

Jodi Rae Bailey said...

I am blessed each time I read this blog. It truly touches my heart. Morgan, God bless you dear. You are precious and your words reminded me that we should celebrate the moments in life...no matter what. I pray consistently for all of you. My hope is that God will continue to use your lives as a testimony of His love and grace.