Monday, December 14, 2009

CampJack

I'm asked, a lot, why I got involved at Camp Sunshine. There's a handful of reasons, but a 'New Year's Resolution' is what I tell most people...because it spares them from the drawn out REAL story, behind the story. Here's the real story...somewhere close to 6 years ago, I tripped over a family that spun me into the world of childhood cancer. I blog-hopped then, but it was more through Caringbridge than regular blogs, and somehow...I found CampJack. I grew to love a family that I only knew through the World Wide Web, exchanging emails, Christmas cards, and prayer request became a regular instance between mom Jen and I. Through Jack's journey, I learned about Camp Sunshine and wanted to know more about the organization they raved about so many times. Not long after Jack went into remission, I joined the Camp Sunshine family and my own journey through Childhood Cancer began.

This past summer, I received an email about volunteering for new camper orientation at the Camp Sunshine house. As I skimmed through the list of new campers, Jack's name was on the list. I. was. stoked. Many years had passed since Jen and I had been in contact, and knew I'd finally get a chance to meet this sweet family that I felt I knew already. As the families were coming through the food line, I stopped Jen.

"Jen, I'm Morgan McDaniel," I said. "I followed you guys on Caringbridge when Jack was diagnosed...it's really nice to meet you."

"OH.MY.GOD!" she said "It's SO nice to meet you!!" After a tight squeeze, she took me out to meet her family on the porch. As Jack and Kate rocked in their rocking chairs, we exchanged hello's and they got back to rocking. A child living the cure after such a long battle with cancer, it was nice to see him loving life. Cancer creates a family outside of your immediate family, and it's a family I so dearly love. Since then, Jen and I stay in touch through email and text, updating each other on our lives...and now she follows us here to stay updated with mom's relapse.

A few weeks ago, I got a text from Jen- "Jack's cancer is back," it said. And as my heart sank I said a prayer for guidance for the doctors, and peace for CampJack as I know the days seem to last forever at the start of relapse. Their story is their's to tell, so I'll let her tell you the rest here. I hope that you will pray for CampJack the same way you have prayed so diligently for us. Our absence from this page is exemplary of the power of prayer, as mom's health has stayed mostly the same since we learned of her relapse. We are so very thankful for normal, good days-- and pray the same for CampJack.

Thank-you for your emails, and Facebook messages-- we are holding steady, and continue to be grateful for mom's health. I've prayed hard, lately, for other families in the thick of relapse at Christmas time. A doctor's appointment, last week, showed that mom's body is still fighting strong and doing it's job to keep the cancer cells at bay-- and for that, we are so very thankful.

Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have added CampJack to my list of special people to pray for...and added him to my Caringbridge people~~~Thanks for letting us know...and so happy Mom is doing so well. I think of all you often and hope it's the merriest Christmases of all
Love, Leigh