Sunday, December 27, 2009

It Was a Crafty Christmas!

So we all know she's crafty, but this year mom really outdid herself! Last year she spent countless hours behind the sewing machine, making a playhouse and a teepee for the grandkids. This year she spent months at a pottery studio in Griffin making handcrafted ornaments and platters for all of us.

Not only has she been crafting at the pottery studio, she's been painting books for the kids in her makeshift studio at home (aka her bedroom). See the books, called "Gifts of Christmas," explain that she's made ten ornaments for the kids to open- one a year for the next ten years. Each page in the book is painted with a "gift" which also has an ornament to coincide with it.


Of course, as with any sentimental gifts and kids, it was pretty anti-climactic for them to open their gifts, but we tried to explain to them how special these gifts were that Nonnie had made for them. We almost had to hold Bo down in her lap to get him to look at the book that she had made for him (he really wanted to get back to the remote control car she gave him before the book!), but it will be so special for them the older they get and as they realize how much work went into their gifts.





For each ornament, she rolled out the clay, cut it out in the shape of a heart, and stamped or wrote the words on it. Then the lady who owns The Clay Lady Studio, mom's (now) good friend, Bonnie, would fire the clay. Then mom would go back and paint each piece and it would be fired again. Bonnie even closed the studio to other clients after Thanksgiving, opening only to help mom get the project done (which, surprisingly I know, is not QUITE done, but she promises that they'll all be wired and done by the first of the year)! She did all this work in between working close to 50 hours a week at her paying job and all those stinkin' doctors' appointments! Then after she got home at night she'd work on painting the books for the kids, which she made by ripping the printed paper off of a board book, then painting layers of Mod Podge and paint. She finally perfected her watercolor technique, and the books are amazing.


She painted platters for Morgan & me with "Oh Holy Night" painted on them and a note written on the back about special memories at the lighting of the Rich's great tree when we were younger. That has always been her favorite Christmas song, and the lights of the huge tree would always be lit when the high note was hit on the final verse of that song. It was a fun tradition that we had for a long time.

We shared hopes that she'll be here to give the kids each one of the ten ornaments and that they won't serve as a memory of her but will be special presents that she'll be able to share with them for many years to come. You're the best, mom!

Click here for a link to the sweet article that The Clay Lady wrote about her time spent with mom in a local magazine.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet note..I never ever deserved the Two wonderful daughters and Two Special Grandkids I have ..yet I am so so very Thankful that you are there for me..Always..I love you so much...Mom...I am again..Crying!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome story. It reminds me of the super cute books she made for you girls when you were little. She is so talented and creative. She has been a huge inspiration to me for 35 years or so and I love her like a sister. Happy New Year to you all and my resolution is to see Dusty many times in 2010, Donna

Jodi Rae Bailey said...

Amazing! Those ornaments and that book represent a legacy of love! None of us is guaranteed tomorrow, so we need to take a lesson from Dusty and do want we can to make our mark in the lives of people we meet and with whom we share life! I'm forever changed by the short time I spent "doing life" with this precious family. It's truly incredible how the power of love and grace can remain with someone for a lifetime--

Anonymous said...

I love reading you posts. You two girls are great. Your love for your mother shows.

Keep the posts coming, cause we are reading them and they do touch us even thought we don't comment. I check the blog often for a new post.

Dee

Anonymous said...

What an amazing Mom, what 2 amazing daughters and what precious grandchildren Nonnie has..You all are richly blessed and I feel blessed to be called her friend!
Love,
Leigh

Tansy Annie Studio said...

I knew your mom in high school and I thought she was adorable. I am happy that she might remember me! I did not know about her cancer until recently, and I didn't know about her relapse! You reflect her strength and love. I know you are proud of her, I would bet she will be here at least 10 or 20 more years!! I love the pottery! She is very talanted and creative! I know she is good at her work:)
Thank you for allowing me to read your blog, I am a little new at blogging, but I enjoy the few that I do read, they are mostly design oriented, but I love connecting with people.
You will all be in my daily prayers!
Wishing you peace and love in the new year,
Vicky Chafin Fenton

Anonymous said...

What beautiful gifts and something for all of you to cherish! I still have the reindeer treat bag that Dusty made for Eric and Morgan's preschool class quite a few years ago. I stole the idea as room mother several times. Thanks Dusty. I have enjoyed reading your blog and especially about your cruise with the family. The boys, Mandy (Eric's wife) and I took a cruise last January. We took a day at Disney World on the way to Miami and then enjoyed snorkeling and just doing the cruise things. You girls have been a wonderful support to your Mother as my boys have been to me. I pray that this year will be a wonderful one for all of you.
Jenny

Unknown said...

I remember all the times Ruth and Zane took ya'll to ride the pink pig and watch the lighting of the great tree. She has now given you ten years of tradition with opening her ornaments with the kids. The only tradition I remember we had growing up was we each picked out a chair in the living room that would be "our spot" for Santa to put our gifts. Then we would put a stocking (actually one of dad's socks) in our chair for Santa to fill. Mother said that all a lot of kids got was a stocking filled with fruit, nuts and hard candy, and that we should be grateful for anything we got in addition to the stocking. Eating out of that stocking all day was one of my favorite memories of Christmas.

Jonn McDaniel said...

We absolutely LOVE our ornament! Thanks so much! It is beautiful, unique and very special. I hope we can all go and make a little of the pottery together soon!